Adoption of Minor by Grandparent

by Carmen from Tampa, Florida, Hillsborough County

What Florida form would be needed to petition for adoption of grandson?

Biological mother and father have consented to give up parental rights.

Answer to Florida Adoption Question

Dear Carmen,

Unfortunately, Florida does not have an approved form for Grandparent Adoption.

However, you can utilize the stepparent adoption procedure to successfully adopt your grandchild.

Have a look at our Florida Grandparent Adoption page for more information.

If you decide not to adopt, there are several things you can do and there are many organizations where you can find some help.

It is a good idea as the caregiver to get certain rights established under law for the sake of the minor child.

Take a look at the Resources section below for groups and resources in Florida that may be better able to help you.

Some Florida state laws you should review:
State Laws change and are subject to different interpretations. These general descriptions are not intended as legal advice in any particular situation.

Medical Consent
FL Stat. ch. 743.0645
• Allows relative to consent to medical care on behalf of a child after provider has made reasonable attempt to contact parent or guardian and if the parent or guardian has not given notice
that they oppose the treatment.

Standby Guardianship
FL Stat. ch. 744.304
• Allows guardian to be temporarily appointed by the court with consent of the parents. Standby guardian assumes duties upon death or incapacitation of last surviving parent.

Relative Caregiver Program
FL 39.5085
• Eligibility requirements for the Relative Caregiver Program, which provides financial assistance to kinship caregivers

Have a look at our Family Adoptions in Florida page for a comprehensive guide on adoptions by extended family members.

Florida Grandparent Resources

State Fact Sheets for Grandparents and Other Relatives Raising Children

Florida State Courts Family Law Forms Page

Grandparents Raising Grandchildren:
Understanding Relationships Part 1

Grandparents Raising Grandchildren:
Building Relationships Part 2

Temporary Custody by Extended Family

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Adoption of Minor by Grandparent

Click here to post comments

Return to Adoption Questions 2015.