Divorce With No Fees

by Marcia from Orlando, Florida, Orange County

I've been separated from my spouse for almost one year and I haven't heard from him since he moved our is living in Louisiana.

I'd like to know if there is a type of petition for people who cannot afford the fees for the divorce procedures, here in Florida?

Answer to Florida Divorce Question

Dear Marcia,

There is a way to have your filing fees waived if you are low income, and you qualify.

It is a simple application available from the clerk of court in all of the circuits; and also available online on the Florida Supreme Court's website, www.flcourts.org .

It is the Application for Civil Indigence Status.

There is a link directly to that form on the Florida Supreme Court's site. When you fill it out, all you have to do is give it to the clerk of court.

The clerk makes the determination as to whether or not you qualify for civil indigent status, and your filing fees may be waived. Some circuits also allow a payment plan for payment of filing fees.

Our legislators realize that the $408 filing fee for a Florida divorce is very expensive for some, and have made these procedures available.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Divorce With No Fees

Click here to post comments

Return to Florida Divorce Questions.