Name Change for Grandchild

by Charleen from Middleburg, Florida, Clay County

I have permanent custody of my granddaughter.

The state of Georgia gave me permanent custody in 2007.

I now live in the state of Florida and my granddaughter wants me to change her last name to mine.

Answer to Florida Name Change Question

Dear Charleen,

I’m not sure how long you have been living in Florida, but as long as you have been here for at least six months you can file a name change petition in Florida.

The process for getting a minor’s name changed is not very difficult. As long as you have sole custody, you should have no problem.

You stated that you have permanent custody, but are you the sole
guardian or are the parents still involved?

If you are sharing custody with the parents then you will have to get them to sign a consent form allowing the name change.

As the Petitioner for a minor child’s name change, you will have to have your fingerprints taken in a manner approved by the Department of Law Enforcement and submitted for a state and national criminal history records check.

This is done to ensure that the name change is in no way connected to any illegal activity.

A hearing on the Petition cannot be requested until the Clerk of Court receives the results of the criminal history records check.

If your granddaughter is no longer a minor, she will have to petition the court
for the name change herself.

She will then have to go through the fingerprinting and criminal background check as stated above.

Your granddaughter wanting her name changed to your name is quite the compliment and speaks very highly about how you have raised her. Congrats!

Legal Advice and Florida Court Forms

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Free Lawyer Referrals

Free Family Lawyer Referrals

If you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.

Florida Court Forms' Petition Preparer Service
Your legal documents ready to file at a price you can afford!

(800) 868-3010

Our Petition Preparer Service can have all your documents professionally prepared after a brief interview with our trained Florida Legal Document Specialists.

Your court papers will be in your hands and ready to file at the courthouse in as little as three days! We guarantee our work. Just ask us for a quote.

Answer provided by Christine Marinkovich, (954) 933-6090, Affordable Divorce Source

Christine is the owner of Affordable Divorce Source, Inc. and an FALDP Ambassador since 2010. Christine really cares about the people she helps, she can take a stressful situation and make it seem easy. You may contact her now for more information.

Click here to post comments

Return to Ask the Staff.