How to Get Credit for Child Support Arrearage

by Anonymous from Florida

I lived with my children's mother for seven years after a break up during which she was awarded a child support order.

After reconciling, she never terminated the child support order, and when we broke up last year, I started receiving notices that I owe her child support for the past seven years that I lived with and supported her and our child.

My tax records, car insurance and registration, and other documentation show that I lived in the same residence with and supported my child for the past seven years.

How can I contest her claim, and get child support enforcement off my back for support I do not owe?

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

If the child support was ordered through the court and you didn’t hear from child support enforcement until after the breakup then it probably wasn’t put through the child support enforcement department.

Your ex has probably initiated the enforcement process. If so, you will have to get the facts corrected.

In order to get the child support corrected you should probably do two different things.

First, you will need to modify the original order of child support.

When you file the modification of child support you can state all the specific circumstances that were significantly different from the time it was originally ordered.

This is where you can state that you and your ex lived together and all expenses for the children were paid by you.

One of the documents required by the court is called the UCCJEA (Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act Affidavit) where you list the addresses the children have lived and with what

This will enforce the fact that you both lived with the children at the same address.

Second, you can then get a motion to correct the child support account showing that the arrearages for the seven years you lived together be removed.

Once you have the modification this should be easier.

It may take a while to get it all corrected, but with the proof and facts that you have it shouldn’t be very difficult.

For more information, visit our child support forms page.

Legal Advice and Florida Court Forms

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Free Lawyer Referrals

Free Family Lawyer Referrals

If you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.

Florida Court Forms' Petition Preparer Service
Your legal documents ready to file at a price you can afford!

(800) 868-3010

Our Petition Preparer Service can have all your documents professionally prepared after a brief interview with our trained Florida Legal Document Specialists.

Your court papers will be in your hands and ready to file at the courthouse in as little as three days! We guarantee our work. Just ask us for a quote.

Answer provided by Christine Marinkovich, (954) 734-9560, Affordable Divorce Source

Christine is the owner of Affordable Divorce Source and an FALDP Ambassador since 2010. Affordable Divorce Source is a stress-less, cost effective non-lawyer alternative to divorce and other family law issues. You may contact her now for more information.

Click here to post comments

Return to Support Questions.