Update Name Change for Child Support

by Michelle from Kansas

How long does it take to change your name, if you get married, on a child support case?

I got married October of 2009 and I have sent in the required information to the child support office in which my case is being held.

I am living in Kansas as of 2007. I want to know how long it takes to change the last name on my case.

I mailed the information a few weeks ago and my maiden last name is still on the myfloridacounty.com website.

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Michelle,

I don't know. Your question may well rank up there with other timeless unanswerable questions such as: How long is a piece of string?

And, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

I remarried in 2007, and also have an open child support case, and also changed my last name, and also notified child support enforcement.

I just looked at myfloridacounty.com and it still displays my former husband's last name.

Be happy, and count your blessings if you are receiving your child support, and don't worry about the name. The court system relies on case numbers.

If you're having problems with your bank when depositing a child support check made out to your former name. Provide your bank with a copy of your marriage license and explain that you may receive checks in your former name.

If your child support payments are loaded onto a debit card, it shouldn't matter what name is connected with the card as long as you have the PIN number.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Update Name Change for Child Support

Comments for Update Name Change for Child Support

Click here to add your own comments

Change of Name Issues
by: Matilda

I recently got divorce but when my ex-husband arrange everything for the child support was done under my marriage name, now that I change my last name to my middle name, my child support checks are still under my old name. What documents do I need to make the name change for the child support check?

Also, on my divorce papers does not mention anything about me requesting changing of last name, but since I never change my social security card with my marriage name, I was able to change my driver license and all documents without a problem. Was this the right way of doing it? I am afraid that I will be in trouble later because I didnt go thru the court to make the change of my name but since I never change the SS card, it should be ok..... Please advise. Thank you sooooooo much.

--It sounds to me like you slipped through the cracks. Just to be safe, I would suggest you formally have your name changed through the courts. Have a look at our Florida Name Change page for more information. --Staff

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Support Questions 2015.