Stopping Child Support

by Janet from Pompano Beach, Florida, Broward County

My son has refused to see me for over 1 year. I pay $700.00 per month in child support which is deducted from my paycheck.

I have gone to counseling w/my son & ex-wife & asked my ex-wife to step in to help my son to see me to no avail.

Can I get my child support suspended? My son is 14 years old.

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Janet,

You are writing from a man's point of view, but you posted your name as "Janet".

I must assume that you are the current wife trying to help your husband sort this out.

You could file a Supplemental Petition for Modification of Child Support, but honestly I doubt it would promote your cause.

Fourteen year olds are notoriously hard to get along with.

The nice kid that you know and love will likely reappear one day.

It is unlikely that you would endear yourself in the heart of your son by cutting off his support -- even if the court would allow it.

On the other hand, if your ex-wife is causing your son to refuse to see you, it could be a different story.

There is such a thing as "alienating affection" however, how would you prove that?

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Stopping Child Support

Click here to post comments

Return to Stop Child Support.