Process to Forgive Child Support Arrears

by Anonymous from Florida

I am no longer under a court order to pay child support, but their are arrears on record with the child support office.

What is the process that the custodial parent must follow to have the past due arrears forgiven?

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Anonymous,

I am not aware that there is any process to forgive child support arrears. There is no statute of limitations in the state of Florida for child support arrears.

If you're saying that you do not owe this child support, and the custodial parent agrees that is true, you may be able to petition the court and/or the Department of Revenue Child Support Enforcement to end all enforcement actions.

However, if the custodial parent ever collected any type of services from the state of Florida, such as Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF), you will be required to repay the state of Florida.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Process to Forgive Child Support Arrears

Comments for Process to Forgive Child Support Arrears

Click here to add your own comments

What FORMS are needed forgive arrears
by: Anonymous

This area is as vague as it is simple. There is ONLY three ways to have a child support case COMPLETELY vacated. 1. PAYMENT 2. DEATH 3. FORGIVENESS OF DEBT. The only problem is that there are no forms to present to the court. I have tried over the years to find them, all to no avail. My ex has never received any form of assistance in any state and wants to forgive the arrears still owed. All the children are in there twenties. Perplexed and confused. There are only two debts EXEMPT from bankruptcy court. IRS (dept. of treasury) and of course child support.

Forms to forgive child support arrears
by: Anonymous

There is no set form to forgive arrears on child support however, you can create a form with their blank form and title it "motion to discharge and credit". Make sure the petitioner includes the amount needed to zero out the "account".

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Child Support Arrears.