Process Service Returned Unserved

by Mary from Orlando, Florida, Orange County

I gave the court the other parent's work and home address but they still returned it unserved. Now what? The mother moved during the time I filed and I didn't know until afterwards.

However, her work address was current and they still returned the petition for paternity unserved.

I now have her new address. What do I do now?

Answer to Florida Court Forms Question

Dear Mary,

Go back to the clerk of court and explain what has taken place. You or the clerk will need to prepare a new Summons for Personal Service on an Individual.

Also, be sure to complete and provide to the clerk a Process Server Memorandum. If you and the other party reside within the same county, the clerk will likely forward your documents to the sheriffs for service of process.

Local rules may differ, so you may need to ask the clerk of court what is the specific process in your circuit. In this case, it is fine for you to be persistent, and keep asking the clerk questions until you understand what to do. Answering questions about how to have someone properly served is not legal advice.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Process Service Returned Unserved

Click here to post comments

Return to Ask the Staff 2015.