Name Change After Divorce is Final

by Anonymous from Florida

Steps to changing name after dissolution has been filed? Dissolution of marriage decree from 2007 in Tallahassee, FL and I postponed changing my name because of ID theft by my ex-husband.

Now my credit has been restored and want to change name and was advised by local court to reopen case to save on filing fee.

Can I file locally (Alachua county) or need to mail to petition to Tallahassee? THANK YOU!

Answer to Florida Divorce Question

Dear Anonymous,

Since your marriage has been final for three years, I believe you need to file Supreme Court approved form, 12.982(a) Petition for Name Change (Adult).

The instructions on that form state in part:

This form should be used when an adult wants the court to change his or her name.

This form is not to be used in connection with a dissolution of marriage or for adoption of children.

If you want a change of name because of a dissolution of marriage or adoption of children that is not yet final, the change of name should be requested as part of that case.

If you intend to reopen your Dissolution of Marriage case; then you need to request to re-open that case in the circuit and county where the Final Order of Dissolution was entered using the Supplemental Petition process. There are no court-approved forms for this type of request.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Name Change After Divorce is Final

Click here to post comments

Return to Divorce Questions 2015.