Motion To Strike - Civil Case

by JK from Hillsborough County, Florida

I need a format to oppose plaintiff's Motion To Strike Defendants "Notices of Compliance" and "Interrogatories and Discoveries". This is a civil case questioning the validity of a document.

We are being sued for a sum of money and in our defense we had asked that the Plaintiff provide certain information, correspondence, proof of payment and Tax returns.

His Attorney filed the above and we need to ask that the judge not grant his motion to strike, in all or in part. Thank you for your help.

Answer to Florida Court Forms Question

Dear JK,

First, don't panic. There will be a hearing on his motion to strike, at that time you can make your argument as to why you need to have those documents.

You don't say whether you are disputing the validity of the debt. Under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) you have certain rights, -- that the creditor prove that you owe the debt; and that he refrain from deceptive or coercive practices.

Within five days of their first contact with you, the debt collector must send you a written notice telling you:
  • How much money you reportedly owe;

  • The name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;

  • That unless you, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, dispute the validity of the debt or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed valid by the debt collector;

  • That if you dispute the debt
    in full or in part within that thirty day period, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt and mail it to the consumer; and

  • That upon your written request within the thirty day period, the debt collector will provide you with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.
The first notice must also include a warning known as the Mini-Miranda Warning, which must state that the communication is from a debt collector and that any information obtained may be used to collect the debt.

Except for pleadings associated with a legal action, all subsequent communication from the debt collector must also include this warning.

Please note that the thirty day notice requirement does not limit the debt collector from taking other measures to collect the debt during that initial thirty day period, as long as its action is not inconsistent with your right to contest the debt under the FDCPA.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Motion To Strike - Civil Case

Comments for Motion To Strike - Civil Case

Click here to add your own comments

Pro Se Defense Questions
by: Maureen from Hatfield, Pennsylvania

I am coming from Pennyslvania next week for a case in your Courts which I am the Defendant. Do I need to have a special form to tell them I will be representing myself?

Please let me know as I am worried about being in Violation. Can I send His Honor Judge E____ my defense in advance for his review?

--You don't say what type of court hearing you are appearing for. In general, there is no special form required to announce that you are defending yourself. Also, in general you may not send anything directly to the judge.

Anything that you want to go in your court file, you file with the clerk of court, and also provide to the other party. If this is a criminal case, and your liberty is at risk, you are entitled to a public defender if you cannot afford an attorney.

In a civil case, whether family law or anything else, you are not entitled to free representation, but depending on your income, you might be able to get some assistance from one of the legal aid societies. There is a list of free or low cost legal service providers listed on our Legal Resources page. --Staff

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Ask the Staff 2015.