Modifying Parenting Plan & Relocation Parenting Plan

by Shannon from Stuart, Florida, Martin County

I need to modify my current parenting plan and I am also wanting to relocate within the state of Florida (but outside the 50 mile zone). I am aware of the Supplemental Petition to Modify Parenting Plan Form 12.905a but I also saw online a Relocation Parenting Plan Form 12.950a.

What is the difference between the two? Also, after filing a Notice of Intent to Relocate (and it has been served to the other party).

Can I file (at the same time) the Certificate of Filing Notice of Intent to Relocate AND the Agreement of Relocation with Minor Children?

Answer to Florida Child Custody Question

Dear Shannon,

First, which forms to file depends on whether your child's father has agreed to the move; or whether you just need to inform him of your intent.

As with most family issues, having all parties in agreement is always the simplest way.

At the same time, the courts recognize that divorced parents have disputes, and cannot always come to a compromise.

The Relocation Long/ Distance Parenting Plan, Form 12.995(c) was designed specifically for parents sharing parental responsibility outside of the 50 mile radius.

It includes paragraphs about airline travel, public transportation, and other factors that do not apply when everyone lives close by. So that is the parenting plan that you need to file. If you and your ex have agreed to the move, you can file the Relocation Parenting Plan jointly.

If you are in agreement you do not need to file the Notice of Intent to Relocate.

Have a look at Florida's new Supreme Court approved form 12-950a, Agreement for Relocation of Minor Children to see if it is appropriate for your situation.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Modifying Parenting Plan & Relocation Parenting Plan

Comments for Modifying Parenting Plan & Relocation Parenting Plan

Click here to add your own comments

Non-custodial parent moves more than 50 miles away.
by: Anonymous

Does a father need to notify the court if he moves more than 50 miles away but he is not the primary residence of the children - children live with their mother?

--The relocation law requires the custodial parent to notify the court. As the non-custodial parent, your are not obliged to file a relocation request, but it is recommended that you update or newly file a long distance parenting plan.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Child Custody Relocation.