Florida Child Support Form for Temporary Relief

by Jack from Tampa, Florida, Hillsborough County

I pay child support for two children. My eldest child is 23 and no longer lives with his mother. My sixteen year old daughter now lives with me full time now.

Can I use form 12.947(a) Temporary Relief to change support amount before I file 12.905(b) Supplemental Petition for Modification of Child Support.

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Jack,

Unfortunately, form 12.947 is only used in a dissolution of marriage proceeding, and is designed to ask the court to start child support before a final judgment is entered.

In other words, the Temporary Relief form is not for you in this case. What you can do is continue to make the support payments (recommended to avoid any complications) and just ask that the support payments be refunded to you retroactive to when the change in circumstances first took place.

You can easily do this in the "other relief" section of your child support modification petition. The judge will decide the date and amount of a retroactive refund (from when and how much) to award you (if any, of course). Hope this helps.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Florida Child Support Form for Temporary Relief

Click here to post comments

Return to Support Questions 2015.