by Jennifer from Macclenny, Florida, Baker County
Me and my husband went and seen a few lawyers on how to have my husband adopt my 5 year old daughter.
One lawyer gave me a form in which the father would sign and have a notary sign also.
This would give up all rights to the child.
From this point on can I proceed with the adoption without a lawyer?
If so what other forms will I need to file along with this?
The forms for filing a Stepparent Adoption are readily available online on the Florida Supreme Court's website, www.flcourts.org.
These family law forms are free downloads, and although the instructions are somewhat confusing, you can do everything yourself if you wade through them.
Here is the list of forms that are needed for a Stepparent Adoption:
Some circuits may have other local forms that you will need to fill out. The clerks at the courthouse should be able to help you with this.
Here is a summary of the procedure:
• Have your ex sign and notarize the consent form first. The newest consent form also requires two witnesses.
• Once you have the ex's signed consent in hand, you and your husband fill out the other forms together. Both of you will sign the Joint Petition for Adoption.
• Only one of you needs to sign the other forms. They all
need to be notarized. Then file the originals of all of the forms with
the clerk of court in your circuit.
• Be sure to attach a certified copy of your child's birth certificate to the petition; and be sure to read all of the instructions that are included with the forms.
• After everything is filed, wait about a week for your documents to be entered into the system, then contact the clerk of court to find out how to schedule a hearing.
Have a look at our Stepparent Adoption Forms page for more information about the procedure for filing a stepparent adoption in Florida.
Notice: We provide these answers
to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further
their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and
should not be regarded as legal advice.
Our Petition Preparer Service can have all your documents professionally prepared after a brief interview with our experienced Legal Document Specialists.
Your court papers will be in your hands and ready to file in as little as three days! We guarantee our work. Just ask us for a quote.