Emancipation of Minor

by Anonymous from Florida

We are custodial grandparents with a minor 15 years old who wishes to leave.

How does one go about returning a minor child to the courts?

Answer to Florida Court Forms Question

Dear Anonymous,

My best suggestion is to contact the Department of Children and Families and request assistance.

If you are unable to care for or control your 15 year old grandchild any longer, DCF can make that determination and file the necessary paperwork for you.

Depending on the circumstances the grandchild might be placed with another relative caregiver, or placed in foster care.

Also research child emancipation in Florida. Age 18 is the age of majority, but if a minor is self supporting and lives apart he may be considered to be emancipated.

For further information see this emancipation information page from SPARC, Separated Parents Access and Resource Center. Age 15 is likely too young for a minor to be legally emancipated; but I believe it is not unusual at age 16-18.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Emancipation of Minor

Comments for Emancipation of Minor

Click here to add your own comments

Friend Has an Unruly Grandchild
by: Phyllis from St Petersburg

My friend has custody of her two grandchildren. Father is in jail mother is on crack. Her grand daughter has run away and stays on street selling herself. Her grand daughter has been violent in the past. My friend fears for her and her grand son.

She wants to emancipate her grand daughter. She is {my friend} is disabled and can not be responsible for her granddaughter's errors of choice. I believe her grand daughter is 14 or 15. What process must my friend follow to legally rid of any responsibility of grand daughter?

--It is likely your friend will need to get DCF involved. Read through the answer above for guidance. --Staff

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Ask the Staff 2015.