Child Support From Puerto Rico

by David from Puerto Rico, USA

I have been divorced for about 10 years, never missed a payment by agreement.

My divorce was in Puerto Rico and about six years ago my ex left P.R.

My child is now 18 living in Florida and finished High School.

When can I stop the support?

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear David,

It sound to me like you're finished paying child support.

In Florida the age of majority is 18.

Unless the divorce and child support order state that you must continue paying beyond the age of 18, there should be no reason to continue.

If the age of majority in Puerto Rico is 21, you may first need to check with the entity there that is designated to collect and enforce child support payments and make sure that they do not retain jurisdiction.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Child Support From Puerto Rico

Click here to post comments

Return to Child Support Jurisdiction.