Can My Child Quit School Wthout My Consent

by Charles from Fort Pierce, Florida, St Lucie County

My son's mother let my child quit High School at the age of 16 with out my consent nor was I told of this until my son told me they held this from me.

I threatened to take her to court if he did not go back to school and she put him back in for 2 months then let him just quit again. My question is can I have child support stopped?

Answer to Florida Child Custody Question

Dear Charles,

No, it is very unlikely that you may stop child support because your son refuses to go to high school. Your Final Order for Dissolution of Marriage, if it is a Florida Court Order, very likely states that you must pay child support until he reaches the age of eighteen, or age nineteen if he is still enrolled in school.

This does not mean that you may suspend payments because he is sixteen and not enrolled in school.
There are often a few circumstances included in the Final Order for Dissolution that would allow you to stop paying child support, such as the child marries, becomes self supporting, or joins the military.

I suspect that it is also included in your Parenting Plan that you are to be advised of all matters relating to your child's education. The fact of the matter is that it is difficult for anyone to force a sixteen year old to go to school.

My suggestion
is that, first you put aside your justifiable anger, and second you discuss with your son his reasons for dropping out of school. You might be surprised.

High school isn't what it used to be. I have heard of all manner of activities taking place at some of the best Florida schools -- from knife fights in the parking lot, to sex in the bathrooms. Perhaps, there are valid reasons that your son does not want to attend school.

Once you've had an honest conversation with your son about his reasons for quitting school, your next step is to try and find a reasonable alternative to traditional high school.

There is no doubt that your son needs and deserves an education, even though he doesn't want to attend traditional high school.

Many community colleges offer GED preparation courses; homeschooling could an option; and there is also a free state accredited virtual school called Florida Virtual School.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Can My Child Quit School Wthout My Consent

Comments for Can My Child Quit School Wthout My Consent

Click here to add your own comments

Boyfriends Son Has No Education
by: Anonymous

I live in Ft Walton beach Florida, my boyfriend has an 18 year old son who just moved in with us. We have been together 4 years his son has not attended school since the 5th grade. My boyfriend was under the assumption he was being home schooled by his mother who has custody. We did not learn this was not happening till a year ago when we started asking questions about him not having a drivers license. we now have him living with us cause he has no means to support himself. She still wants full child support since his daughter is 12 he refused and cut it in half.

We now need to find out how to get his education license insurance and teach him how to live. Is there anything we can do to make her help with this and to make sure this don't happen with his daughter? My boyfriend pays child support every month and on time always has, as well as extra for clothing extra stuff they want and things they want to do bed room sets computers he pays health costs and both kids cell phone bills every month.

--Since he is now living with you, why not file for child support? See our Florida Child Support page for more information --Staff

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Custody Questions 2015.