Who Should Get Child Support

by Adnan from Coconut Creek, Florida, Broward County

My child will turn 18 in August 2010 and still in school to finish his High school. He doesn't want to live with his mom after turning 18 and want to live with his grandmother in same city to go school and finish it next year 2011.

Can I pay child support to his grandmother for his education and not to his mother after he turns 18.

Do I need any legal modification in child support or after 18 he or his grandmother can be paid child support.

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Adnan,

If your son's mother is in agreement with this arrangement, that will help tremendously.

The simplest thing for you to do is file a Petition for Temporary Custody by Extended Family Member under Florida Statute 751.

That form includes a mechanism to pay the family member child support payments while the minor child is living with them.

This form is not available on the Florida Supreme Court's website.

However, many of the judicial circuits have the form available. Along with that form, you will need the consent of both parents. It is very likely that the school your son will be attending while living with his grandmother will demand that the grandmother have formal temporary custody.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Who Should Get Child Support

Click here to post comments

Return to Support Questions 2015.

/* */ /* */ /* */ /* */