What Divorce Paperwork to File?

by Pam
(Clearwater, Florida, Pinellas County)

I am looking to file for divorce but am not sure which paperwork I need to file.

I live in Florida and my husband lives in South Carolina.

We have been separated for 4 1/2 years and we have an 18 year old son together.

My son is living with his dad. This will be an uncontested divorce with no property.

Answer to Florida Divorce Question

Dear Pam,

With your specific circumstances you may qualify for what is called a Simplified Dissolution.

This will depend mostly on whether your son is still in high school or if he has graduated since he is 18 years old.

A Simplified Dissolution can be done when there are no assets or liabilities to be divided, there are no minor children and if both parties attend the final hearing.

If you cannot get your Husband to attend the final hearing you will then have to file for a regular Dissolution.

This requires a couple more documents to complete the process, but there is no requirement for both spouses to attend a final hearing.

Your husband can sign and file what is called an Answer and Waiver.

The best way to find out what documents you will need is to read our page on Florida divorce forms.

You can file in the state of Florida as long as one of you has lived here for the last 6 months, which you have, and as the Petitioner you will be able to attend the Hearing to finalize the divorce.

Most counties are very similar in the exact documents, but some counties have local forms that are required in addition to the divorce papers required by the state.

Pinellas has an excellent self help program, and I would encourage you to make an appointment.

Legal Advice and Florida Court Forms

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Free Lawyer Referrals

Free Family Lawyer Referrals

If you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.

Florida Court Forms' Petition Preparer Service
Your legal documents ready to file at a price you can afford!

(800) 868-3010

Our Petition Preparer Service can have all your documents professionally prepared after a brief interview with our trained Florida Legal Document Specialists.

Your court papers will be in your hands and ready to file at the courthouse in as little as three days! We guarantee our work. Just ask us for a quote.

Answer provided by Christine Marinkovich, (954) 734-9560, Affordable Divorce Source

Christine is the owner of Affordable Divorce Source and an FALDP Ambassador since 2010. Affordable Divorce Source is a stress-less, cost effective non-lawyer alternative to divorce and other family law issues. You may contact her now for more information.

Click here to post comments

Return to Divorce Questions 2015.