Visitation With Father Help

by Anonymous from Florida

I am a 15 year old currently in a lot of stress. My father signed a paper with my mother that says I'm with him one weekend and one weekend with my mom and the week with my mom.

The reason this visitation paper was signed is because my mom pretty much only cares about the child support that he wasn't paying on time.

My parents were never married and I have NEVER lived with my father or slept over his house. I have barely spent any time with him and he is always finding excuses.

My father has recently been emotionally and verbally abusing of me, for example by saying that he has lost interest and by threatening me in the sense that I have to go with him over to his house.

I am a straight A student, I'm not into drugs, or cause any problems what so ever. I want to know what my rights are. I don't want to see my father ever again, at least not for a very long time.

I really need help, please I'm very tired of this situation and the truth is I want to live with my aunt who I have lived with all my life. It's been her, my grandma, and my mom but recently my mom kicked them out of the house and I just want to go with my auntie.

My mom also verbally and emotionally abuses of me. When I was younger she used to physically abuse me until the day I threatened to call the cops if she touched me.

Answer to Florida Child Visitation Question

Dear Anonymous,

If you feel that you are being abused, call the Department of Children and Families: 800-962-2873.

And here is a link to their website, Department of Children and Families.

You can go to their contact page and initiate an investigation.

The Department of Children and Families website states the following;

An investigation results when a call is made to the Florida Abuse Hotline claiming that a child is being abused or neglected. Florida law requires the child protective investigator to determine if any child in your home has been harmed.

If abuse or neglect has occurred, services are available to assist your family in keeping your child safe and preventing future abuse or neglect.

...The investigation regarding your child is required to be completed within 60 days, except in cases involving a child death, missing child, or when law enforcement has an open criminal investigation.
The majority of reports reveal no indication of child abuse or neglect and the investigation is closed without further action.

...If child abuse or neglect is identified, the investigator will explore with you what services and resources may be provided to your family that would allow your child to stay at home while also preventing future abuse or neglect.

Based upon your family’s situation, the investigator will likely consider,

(1) referring you to a local community agency for help,

(2) offering in-home case management services, or

(3) asking a judge to grant court ordered supervision and oversight of your family.

In most situations, service referrals and in-home case management services greatly reduce the need for the investigator to recommend taking more serious steps, such as placing your child outside the home, as allowed by law.

You do have the right to refuse the services and assistance offered by the investigator. If you refuse services, the law requires the investigator to determine whether court oversight is required to protect your child.

No child deserves to be abused. Maybe your auntie or grandma can initiate the call for you. Or you may be able to speak to someone at your school that could help. Good luck.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Visitation With Father Help

Click here to post comments

Return to Visitation Questions 2015.

/* */ /* */ /* */ /* */