Visitation Rights For My Kids

by Harold from Tampa, Florida, Hillsborough County

Me and my ex-girlfriend split up and now she lives with her new boyfriend.

And I think he controls every moves she makes.

Since her new man and I have a bad history together I think he doesn't allow me to see my kids.

She has changed her number and calls me restricted.

I have no means of communication with my kids and I went to my son's school to see him and she called me stating that she would call the cops if I picked him up from school. I just want to be there for my kids.

Answer to Florida Custody & Visitation Question

Dear Harold,

Unmarried biological fathers have a right to be engaged in the life of their kids.

This right includes visitation, decision making, and frequent contact.

Many split-ups involve issues that can make coming to an agreement about these parenting issues almost impossible.

It sounds like in your case, the mother of your kids is not being reasonable with allowing time and contact with your children.

If that is the case, you may want to consider formalizing custody, visitation, time-sharing, contact, decision making, child support, and any other parenting issues through the courts.

As an unmarried biological father, you can use the Petition for Paternity forms and process to ask the court to enter an order and approve a Parenting Plan. Sometimes the best and safest way to come to an agreement is with the help of the court system. And in many cases, this is the only way.

A Parenting Plan will spell out an equitably time-sharing and visitation schedule for you and your kids. If you and your ex cannot come to an agreement, the court will.

My suggestion is to try to get the mother of your kids to enter into a Parenting Plan that you can file with the court.

If not, you can file a Petition for Paternity, and have all of these issues settled once and for all.

You and your kids deserve nothing less. Have a look at the following pages on our site for more information, then get legal advice for how to proceed....

Form 12.983(a) Petition For Paternity

Florida Parenting Plan

Unmarried Child Custody

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Visitation Rights For My Kids

Click here to post comments

Return to Child Visitation Rights.