Unpaid Child Support Over 30 Days

by Anonymous from Orange County, Florida

My daughter's father was ordered by the State of Mississippi to pay child support in February of this year.

I live in Florida. He started getting his paychecks garnished.

Now he's working under the table to keep from getting his paychecks garnished.

I haven't received a payment each month like I was supposed to. When I do receive them it's not the full amount.

He was also ordered to provide medical insurance on my daughter. He is now 30 days and almost $500 behind. Is there anything I can do to make him pay?

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Anonymous,

It is always more difficult to enforce child support when the party who is supposed to pay lives in a different state.

Since your court order originated in Mississippi and he is still living there; you should contact Mississippi and ask them to enforce the child support order.

The state of Florida Department of Revenue (DOR) might be able to help enforce it, but you might be able to get some assistance at the federal level. Contact the Administration for Children and Families. One of the question and answers on the Administration for Children and Families site states:

I am not satisfied with how my case is being handled. What do I do?

The Child Support Enforcement(CSE)Program is run by states and counties and they are the best source of information about your case. If you are working with the agency, but are not getting support payments, contact the state CSE agency and ask them what more can be done.

The state should be able to pull up the case and may have suggestions about other things to try. A number of states are developing secure sites for child support case information. Links to State CSE agency web sites are available on our web site at http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cse/extinf.html

Many of them provide a link for asking questions. Most of them list the telephone numbers and addresses of the local CSE offices as well. In difficult cases you might write the state and Federal regional offices.
If you write, include identifying information

- such as both parents' names, case numbers, social security numbers

- and ask them to review the case.

Regional office contact information is at: http://ocse.acf.hhs.gov/int/directories/index.cfm?fuseaction=main.extregofficemap

Some cases are very difficult to enforce. If the other parent is able to work for cash, to hide income or assets, to move often, for example, the CSE agency may not be able to enforce the order.

In these cases, provide as much information as you can. Tell the caseworker everything you can about where he or she lives and works and anything else that might help the caseworker to help you and your family.

It may be possible to find the person's Social Security number (SSN), or check to see if it has been falsified. Provide your caseworker with as much as you can of - his or her full name, date and place of birth, and parents' names.

If you know of any SSNs that the person has used, that would be helpful as well. The CSE agency can check with the Federal Parent Locator Service to see if information is available.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Unpaid Child Support Over 30 Days

Click here to post comments

Return to Support Questions 2015.