Temporary Reduction in Florida Child Support

by Anonymous from Florida

My boyfriend lost job due to a cutback and is receiving unemployment.

He needs to know what process that he needs to go through to get his child support reduced temporarily and how long this process takes.

He has no money to hire an attorney, so he needs to know all the proper forms to fill out.

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Anonymous,

Your boyfriend needs to file the Supplemental Petition for Modification of Child Support, Form 12.905(b) and the supporting forms.

Unemployment may qualify him for a temporary reduction in child support.

Have a look at our web-powered instructions page for Form 12.905(b).

You'll find links to all the supporting child support modification forms with the instructions on one page. Many people find this page useful.

The petition for modification and the supporting forms should be filed in the county where the original child support order was entered or in the county where his child lives. Be sure to follow the instructions on the forms, and have the child's mother properly served.

Be sure to make contact with the court's self help services. Their assistance can be very useful with the process. However they are strictly forbidden to give any advice, including which forms you should use.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Temporary Reduction in Florida Child Support

Comments for Temporary Reduction in Florida Child Support

Click here to add your own comments

Lost Job
by: Meek from New Jersey

I recently lost my job and trying to find a new one. Can the amount I pay now change due to these circumstances?

--The substantial change clause when applied to child support typically means that the change is involuntary, permanent in nature, and substantial. Of course, like any legal term, these factors are subject to interpretation and case law. Generally speaking, "involuntary" means by no fault of your own, "permanent in nature" means a long time like several months or more, and "substantial" means that the change in income is a lot. Be prepared to prove these factors in order to convince a judge that you meet these requirements to reduce your child support payments. --Staff

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Lowering Child Support.