Stopping IDO After Child is 18

by S. from Pensacola, Florida, Escambia County

When my daughter turned 18 last August she asked to come live with me (to my delight).

Since then she has been living with me and has established her residency in my home.

My IDO has continued to be deducted from my pay on a bi-weekly schedule and I can't get Orange County to stop it.

I live in Pensacola and as of today was told by the child support department that if I can't drive to Orlando and get the forms from room 320 at the courthouse that maybe I could ask someone to get them for me. Great advice! I can't even believe this.

I sent a letter in November to have my deduction stopped and it was ignored. I made several calls in December and I was finally told to go to to get the form, a blank option form. Believe it or not the website has been down until today.

The site does not have the form and stated that the support should have automatically stopped when my daughter turned 18. So now they tell me to drive to the courthouse to file the form. What a run around. This amazes me that forms can not be filed from afar. The county can't fax or send a scanned copy.

I am sure I am not the only parent that has had this issue. My employer said the State continues to draft the amount out of the checking account and therefore they will continue to take from my pay. I need help with this process.

My daughter is living with me, and I am very happy to have her, and her mother who resides somewhere in VA is getting paid every two weeks. Now Orange County tells me I need to drive 7.5 hours (one way) to file a form. There has to be an easier solution. Any advice would be appreciated.

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear S.,

If it is any consolation at all, you are not being singled out.

The Florida Department of Revenue Child Support Enforcement Division is one of the very worst state agencies to deal with.

The Department of Revenue form that you are looking for is on their site is Request for Support Order Review.

It is a simple two page form that you can fill out online (interactive form) then print out and mail to the Department of Revenue (DOR).

Notice: The form has been discontinued, by you can still apply using the link above.

You can request the support order review based on changed circumstances which in your case are:

(1) your daughter has reached the age of majority - 18; and

(2) your daughter now lives with you.

Mail the completed form to the DOR in Orange County, and Tallahassee. Here is the address in Orange County:

Department of Revenue
400 W. Robinson St.
Hurston South Tower, Ste. #S509,
Orlando, FL 32801-1718

The following is the contact information for the Program Director:

Ann Coffin, Program Director
Tel: 850-717-7000
Child Support Enforcement
Florida Department of Revenue
P. O. Box 8030
Tallahassee, FL 32314-8030

This address and phone number was recently removed from DOR's site -- probably because she was getting too many calls. The customer service number is an exercise in frustration, I'm guessing you've already called that number 800-622-5437.

When you mail your form, be sure to send it so that you know when it was received. USPS Delivery Confirmation works well. You might also try the Governor's office. It is amazing what the staff of elected officials can accomplish.

Governor Crist's office was great at this sort of thing, I don't know how responsive Governor Scott's office is. If all of this fails, you can file a Petition for Modification of Child Support with the clerk of court. You shouldn't have to go to such lengths, but if that's what it takes -- do it.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Stopping IDO After Child is 18

Comments for Stopping IDO After Child is 18

Click here to add your own comments

Complaint about the DOR
by: Anonymous

They are not only the worst department to deal with but don't care if they are a public spectacle. My ex audio taped an ACTUAL COURT HEARING in the 9th Judicial district AND {edited} CSE doesn't care if my ex posted it on every Father's For Equal Rights blog site. It went viral. NO ONE CARES IF YOUR KIDS STARVE.

Get on welfare if you can! I wish I had just quit working so hard and just gotten on the WELFARE ride working for cash under the table like my ex.

{edited} does not care. {edited} does not care.
The Department of Revenue DOES NOT CARE. Apply for food stamps anything else you can get your hands on.... at least you get something.

--Sorry to hear about your experience, but you are certainly not alone in your dissatisfaction with the DOR. Still, I don't think your "solution" is such a good idea either. --Staff

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Child Support Age 18.