Shared Custody of Grandchildren

by Janet from Deland, Florida, Volusia County

I have two Grandsons that I would like to have shared custody of with my Daughter. This would enable me to add them to my Health Insurance and also receive a 4 year paid College education.

Their Father was killed in 2002, and their Mom lives next door to me. Presently she is unemployed. How can this be done?

Answer to Florida Child Custody Question

Dear Janet,

I don't know how shared custody with a grandparent can be done.

You could file a Petition for Temporary Custody of Minor Children by an Extended Family Member, under Florida Statutes 751, but I'm not sure whether you would be allowed to add your grandchildren on to your health insurance.

That would depend on the policies of the insurance company. However, I don't think that you could share custody with your daughter.

As far as the 4 year paid college education, that may only be available to your grandchildren if you adopt them.

Your daughter may be able to collect SSI for the children, due to their father's death.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Shared Custody of Grandchildren

Click here to post comments

Return to Joint Child Custody.