Required Paperwork To Establish Parental Visitation

by Karen from Titusville, Florida, Brevard County

My brother-in-law had supervised visitation with his daughter. I don't believe he and his ex ever went before a judge in order to establish that order, as it was accomplished with a mediator.

My brother-in-law's visitation privileges were revoked due to him not showing up for several visits.

He has not seen his daughter since the revocation in almost 2 years. He would like to re-establish visitation, preferably unsupervised, so that he can take her to visit other family members locally that she has not seen in years.

He/we would like to know what process and what paperwork is required to accomplish this. He is on disability and cannot afford an attorney, so we would like to know how to re-establish visitation without the use of an attorney.

Answer to Florida Child Visitation Question

Dear Karen,

Your brother-in-law likely needs to file a Supplemental Petition to Modify Parenting Plan/Time-Sharing Schedule and Other Relief.

Along with that form and a few other forms that must be filed also, he needs to file a Parenting Plan.

Have a look at our we-powered instructions page for the Supplemental Petition to Modify Parenting Plan Time-Sharing Schedule and Other Relief, Form 12.905(a).

Read the instructions on the form to see if this is the right form for your brother-in-law. Since he is on disability he should qualify for Civil Indigent Status, and waive the filing fee. I don't quite understand why his visitation privileges were revoked simply because he failed to exercise his visitation rights.

If there was a reason at the outset why supervised visitation was ordered; and that reason or circumstance has now changed, that may persuade a judge to allow unsupervised visitation. Florida family law forms, including those that I mentioned are available on the Florida Supreme Court's website,

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Required Paperwork To Establish Parental Visitation

Click here to post comments

Return to Visitation Questions 2015.

/* */ /* */ /* */ /* */