Guardianship Papers & Child Custody

by Sue from Michigan

I live in Michigan and granted power of attorney papers to a friend so she can sign for my daughter to go to school in Florida. Now I get these papers to sign of guardianship to my friend.

Does that mean I give up custody rights?

Answer to Florida Child Custody Question

Dear Sue,

Florida's guardianship laws are geared towards the guardianship of minors with assets, so I'm not sure if guardianship is even what is needed.

Recently, the schools in Florida have been demanding documentation from caregivers before the caregiver is allowed to act in a child's behalf.

I believe the documents which are called for are actually Temporary Custody documents.

Have a look at our Temporary Custody by Extended Family Members e-book.

But, if the school is demanding guardianship papers, my suggestion is to comply with their request. Make sure that the guardianship documents that you sign provide that you can dissolve the guardianship at a certain date, or upon your request.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Guardianship Papers & Child Custody

Click here to post comments

Return to Child Custody Legal Form.

/* */ /* */ /* */ /* */