Ending Child Support in Florida

by Anthony from Vero Beach, Florida, Indian River County

I am currently paying child support for my two children. Our last order stated that I had to pay until the children were 18 and graduated high school. My son is now 18 and has graduated.

Do we just split the amount in half now?

Does it stop automatically, or do we need forms? They told me it would be simple.

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Anthony,

It's not quite that simple. Here are two questions and answers from the Florida Department of Revenue, Child Support Enforcement website, located online:

My child(ren) have emancipated (reached the age of majority), I should no longer have to pay child support. What can I do to terminate support?

The Clerk should adjust the record pursuant to the Court Order. The record would be researched to confirm the date of birth or any other information to confirm emancipation.

If the information is not contained in the court file the parties must supply the information or the documentation needed for the adjustment to be made.

How do I terminate support when my child turns 18 or graduates from high school?

It depends on the specific language contained in the Court Order. It is suggested to read your order carefully. If you believe that your order includes an event that has occurred causing support to terminate, contact the Clerk's Office.

If you believe that an event has occurred but is not included in the order, you may need to modify your Court Order by the Motion for Modification process through the Clerk's Office.

You may wish to consult an attorney. See Florida Statutes § 743.07.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Ending Child Support in Florida

Comments for Ending Child Support in Florida

Click here to add your own comments

Child Support Has Ended At 18 Or Not?
by: Charles

I have paid child support for my child up to the age of 18. My employer has stopped my deduction from my pay. Before the age of 18 my child had an accident that left her almost brain dead. Now my ex wants to continue child support.

My child does receive disability pay now. Can they force me to pay until I die. I do pay every month to them of my own free will just not court ordered.

-- Florida allows for child support to continue beyond the age of 18 under two circumstances. The first is if the child is still living at home and attending school and is expected to graduate up to the age of 19.

The other circumstance is when the child is still dependent, living at home, and is incapacitated or disabled (physical or mental) and the disability occurred before the age of 18. See Florida Statutes §743.07. --Staff

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Stop Child Support.