Contempt Child Custody & Visitation

by Anonymous from Florida

I have read the Florida Statutes 61.20 5,5 and 6 that requires both parties to complete a Parenting course.

We have been to court and she was never made to take this course nor was she excused from taking it.

Now I am filing a modification case and I want to know what to do to make her have to take this course, or can I file her in contempt of court for failing to do so?

Answer to Florida Custody & Visitation Question

Dear Anonymous,

You are correct, both parties in a dissolution of marriage with children are required to complete a Parenting Course.

Since your ex has failed to comply, she may be technically in violation of a court order.

However, unless she is also displaying poor parenting skills, filing a motion for contempt for her failure to take that course, may not endear you to the judge.

You might mention in your supplemental petition that she has failed to take the required course; or you might bring it to the judge's attention at your hearing.

My reasoning is that, unless, she is indeed a less than adequate parent, your filing a motion for contempt for nothing more than failing to take the parenting course, may seem like you are being vindictive or harassing her.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Contempt Child Custody & Visitation

Click here to post comments

Return to Child Custody Visitation.