Child Support Modifications to Stop an Order for Support

by Massi from Houston, Texas

My Ex-Husband and I remarried in April of last year after being apart for 7 years.

We have two daughters that he paid child support for and still is.

How do we stop the order now that we are remarried?

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Massi,

If you are now living in Texas and the original support order was entered in Florida, you have two options. The first option is to file a Supplemental Petition to Modify Child Support with the supporting forms and request that support payments be stopped because of your new circumstances.

The second option would be to have jurisdiction transferred from Florida to Texas because that is where the children are now living, and then petition the Texas court to stop child support payments because of your new circumstances.

You'll have to speak to a local Texas attorney for advice on how to do this. If you can attend a child support modification hearing in Florida, the first option might be the quickest and least painful. Have a look at our Modifying Child Support in Florida page for more information.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Child Support Modifications to Stop an Order for Support

Click here to post comments

Return to Stop Child Support.