Child Support Enforcement Delay

by Dee from Eustis, Florida, Lake County

How long does it take to hear back once I filed for child support? I filed for child support a year and a half ago and have not heard anything. It seems like I should have heard something by now.

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Dee,

One would think so. The phone number for the Florida Department of Revenue (DOR) is 800-266-5437.

Unfortunately it is a call center and often does not have very much information.

It can be an extremely frustrating process to collect child support and, believe me, I feel your pain.

Do you know where your ex is living?

If you do let the DOR know so that they can go forward with their enforcement. If you can locate him yourself, do so. And then tell the DOR where he is.

If you know where he is working even better, then they can put an Income Deduction Order (IDO) in place. My suggestion is to call or write elected officials and tell them that the DOR has not enforced your child support, and ask them for help.

You might be surprised how much help elected officials and their aides can provide. They want votes. And a letter on their letterhead sent to the Department of Revenue requesting information about your case, may go a long way in getting the DOR to take action.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Child Support Enforcement Delay

Click here to post comments

Return to Support Questions 2015.

/* */ /* */ /* */ /* */