Child Support Change of Circumstances

by Mike from Tampa, Florida, Hillsborough County

I am making a lesser amount now than I was when I went to court the first time for child support but my ex-wife has been remarried for a year now.

Can I appeal my child support dues?

Support started two years ago, currently making around 350 a week and Paying 350 in child support a month. Now my ex wife is married for a year.

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Mike,

The fact that your ex wife has remarried is not a consideration for child support.

However, the fact that you are earning less money now than when the child support order was entered does make a difference.

Modifications of child support must be based on changed circumstances; and the change in circumstances can be any of the parties involved - you, your ex, or the child.

My suggestion is that you file a Supplemental Petition to Modify Child Support, Supreme Court approved Form, 12.905(b).

You can find that form and other pro se forms on the Florida Supreme Court's website at Have a look at our Modify Child Support page for more information.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Child Support Change of Circumstances

Click here to post comments

Return to Lowering Child Support.