Child Support Arrears Percentage

by Mayling from Hialeah, Florida, Miami-Dade County

I went to court to determine child support arrears which total over $46,000.

I need to find out if I have a hearing scheduled next month, what percentage has to be paid on that amount if it cannot be paid in full?

I that added to the weekly child supoort, he needs to start paying me now?

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Mayling,

Usually a judge will order a purge amount which must be paid immediately, immediately as in that day in court. Sometimes a purge amount is as much as 25% of the full amount, which in your case is $11,500. It depends whether the judge believes that your ex has the ability to pay or not.

A judge may find your ex in contempt of court if he cannot pay the purge amount, and may incarcerate him immediately. If your ex does not appear in court for the hearing the judge will likely order that a bench warrant be issued for his nonpayment of support.

A bench warrant is a civil warrant, and he will not likely be arrested unless he comes into police contact for some other reason -- such as he is in court for something else, or he is stopped for a traffic violation.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Child Support Arrears Percentage

Comments for Child Support Arrears Percentage

Click here to add your own comments

by: Anonymous

If they put a warrant (aka as a writ) they will go to his house or work place and arrest him there. It all depends on the judge thou.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Child Support Arrears.