Child Support & Adoption

by Anonymous from Florida

I have a child with an ex that is currently living in New York. Her husband has hired an attorney to adopt my daughter and both my ex and her husband agree to this adoption.

I have decided that due to the fact that I was never a part of the child's life from the beginning, that I will sign the consent form and allow her husband to adopt my daughter as his own.

I was wondering if the court awards him the adoption and they terminate my child support in New York, will it also be terminated in the state of Florida?

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Anonymous,

Yes. Once you terminate parental rights in Florida your ongoing child support obligation ends.

I suggest that you be proactive in making sure that the Florida Department of Revenue is aware that you have terminated your parental rights pending an adoption by a step-parent.

Termination of parental rights does not affect past due child support that is already owed.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Child Support & Adoption

Click here to post comments

Return to Support Questions 2015.

/* */ /* */ /* */ /* */