Bank Records & Child Support Modification

by Mary from Venice, Florida, Sarasota County

In the state of Florida can a court order a spouse of the non-custodial parent to show her banking records that are in her name only in a child Modification case?

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Mary,

It depends. Let's say Ken and Barbie married and had a child.

Later on they divorced. The child stayed with Barbie, and Ken paid child support.

Ken married Muffy and they had a child together.

Ken then filed a Supplemental Petition for Modification of Child Support based on his changed circumstances.

He stated that now that he is supporting another child, the child support that he pays to Barbie for their child is unaffordable.

In this set of circumstances the court may order Muffy to disclose her financial records, because she is also responsible for supporting the child that she and Ken had together. Ken is not necessarily the sole provider for that child; and so Muffy's finances become a factor.

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Legal Match LogoIf you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's free Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.
Free Family Lawyer Referral

You Are Here → › Bank Records & Child Support Modification

Click here to post comments

Return to Support Questions 2015.

/* */ /* */ /* */ /* */