Back Child Support & Parental Rights

by Holly from Crawfordville, Florida, Wakulla County

Child support arrearage and parental rights revocation.

The child support is $54,000. Never paid child support and had parental rights revoked.

He abandoned the children several years ago. No contact, no support.

Can I sue him for the arrearages up to the time his rights were revoked or by taking him to court for revocation of his parental rights, did I lose that as well?

Answer to Florida Child Support Question

Dear Holly,

Yes. Generally in Florida, child support arrears are owed until paid; and he owes up until the time his parental rights were terminated.

A child support order tells the parents what they must do to support their children.

Enforcing child support orders means getting the parent to do what the order says.

The following is stated on the Florida Department of Revenue's website:

Some of the ways we get parents to pay are:

  • Notify the parents when they miss payments

  • Suspend Florida driver licenses

  • Take IRS tax refunds

  • Take tax refunds to pay past due support

  • Take Florida Lottery winnings if over $600

  • Take support payments from unemployment and worker's compensation

  • Tell employers to take payments from paychecks

  • Place liens on the parent's car, boat, or other property

  • Report past due support to credit agencies

  • Place a hold and take money from bank accounts

  • Take the case to court because the parent did not do what the order says

  • Work with the court to issue a writ, also known as an arrest warrant.

If you would like to see if there is a writ on your case, please use the Department of Revenue's Writ Search page. Parents can avoid these actions by paying their child support and doing what the order says.

Department of Revenue's Contact Information

Florida's Child Support Enforcement Customer Service can be contacted toll free at 1-800-622-KIDS (5437) from 7:00AM to 7:00PM EST, Monday thru Friday.

To obtain information about payments and collections, the Department's Automatic Payment Line (APL), 1-800-226-6777, is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and the State Disbursement Unit's phone line at 1-877-769-0251 (toll free) is available during business hours.

Dade County's Child Support Enforcement Customer Service phone number is (305) 530-2600.

Manatee County's Child Support Enforcement Customer Service phone number is (941) 741-4039.

The State Program Office mailing address is:
The Florida Department of Revenue, Child Support Enforcement,
P.O. Box 8030,
Tallahassee, FL 32314-8030.

Legal Advice and Florida Court Forms

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Free Lawyer Referrals

Free Family Lawyer Referrals

If you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.

Florida Court Forms' Petition Preparer Paralegal Service
Your legal documents ready to file at a price you can afford!

(800) 868-3010

Our Petition Preparer Service can have all your documents professionally prepared after a brief interview with our trained Florida Legal Document Specialists.

Your court papers will be in your hands and ready to file at the courthouse in as little as three days! We guarantee our work. Just ask us for a quote.

Answer provided by Kenneth Diaz, (800) 868-3010, Florida Court Forms © 2015

Kenneth has been a Florida Legal Document Preparer since 1998. Currently, he publishes and writes content for legal websites and does freelance paralegal work through referrals only.

Comments for Back Child Support & Parental Rights

Click here to add your own comments

Does Ohio Protect Deadbeat Fathers?
by: Anonymous

My child is 11. Court ordered support 8-10yrs ago. Never received anything except twice IRS sent me his tax refund. Now he won't file taxes and allows his gf/wife (not sure if they are legally married) to claim all their kids so I don't get any $!!!

I have info on his location in Ohio so how do I go about getting child support enforcement to do anything with my case??? I know he works and makes good money so can't they use SSN to find him in Ohio?

--Absolutely. Contact your local child support office and request a review. Bring all his information with you. --Staff

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Florida Back Child Support.