Avoiding Mediation Hearing in Modification of Custody Case

by Anonymous from Florida

Modification of custody was filed six months ago. Father asked for sole custody because mother married sex offender.

According to original custody, parents must first seek mediation. Mother has canceled several mediation appointments.

It is felt she is stalling and/or refusing to cooperate. What next steps can be taken?

Answer to Florida Child Custody Question

I’m sure it is frustrating trying to get something taken care of in the court that is so important to you!

The mother is probably stalling or trying not to cooperate, but there is a couple of things that you can try to move it along.

Motions are a very good way to get the court involved in pushing certain issues.

You can file a Motion to request that the judge order her to go to mediation. Have a look at a previous answer to a filing a motion question.

If she doesn’t cooperate with this order of the court then you can follow it up with a motion for contempt and enforcement.

In the meantime have you thought about the option of getting an emergency hearing to either get supervised visitation with the Mother or no visitation in a temporary order until the court is able to hear your case?

If you are truly concerned about your children’s safety then you have a very good reason to request an emergency hearing.

The temporary orders can at least give you peace of mind that your children will be safe during the time it will take to get this through the whole process.

It may also give the mother a little push to move things along too if she wants to be able to see her children.

Legal Advice and Florida Court Forms

Notice: We provide these answers to the general public and our website visitors as a means to further their online legal research. These answers are merely suggestions and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Free Lawyer Referrals

Free Family Lawyer Referrals

If you need legal advice, we recommend LagalMatch's Lawyer Referral Service. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Get the legal advice you deserve.

Florida Court Forms' Petition Preparer Service
Your legal documents ready to file at a price you can afford!

(800) 868-3010

Our Petition Preparer Service can have all your documents professionally prepared after a brief interview with our trained Florida Legal Document Specialists.

Your court papers will be in your hands and ready to file at the courthouse in as little as three days! We guarantee our work. Just ask us for a quote.

Answer provided by Christine Marinkovich, (954) 734-9560, Affordable Divorce Source

Christine is the owner of Affordable Divorce Source and an FALDP Ambassador since 2010. Affordable Divorce Source is a stress-less, cost effective non-lawyer alternative to divorce and other family law issues. You may contact her now for more information.

Click here to post comments

Return to Custody Questions.